Correlation Between Maternal’s Occupation And Fulfilling Infant’s Exclusive Breastfeeding Standard In Arosbaya Village, Bangkalan Regency
Zaman, Thomy Al Jabbari
Silitonga, Hanna Tabita Hasianna
MetadataShow full item record
Introduction: Exclusive breastfeeding (EBF) according to WHO means that the infant receives only breast milk. No other liquids or solids are given – not even water. Most of the mothers in Arosbaya Village underestimate the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding (mixing breast milk with other ingredients to elevate child’s nutrition intake). Maternal occupation includes in predisposing factors of giving exclusive breastfeeding.This study aims to find the relation between maternal occupation with EBF. Method: The methods used is cross sectional study (cut-latitude) survey design. The population in this study were mothers who had babies aged 0-24 months and were recorded as residents of Arosbaya Village, Arosbaya District, Bangkalan Regency. From 256 women in the area, 94 were taken as respondent randomly. Results: From the amount of 94 women, 56 were non-working mother (59%) while the rest 38 women were working mother (41%). 56 non-working mother had breastfed their infants (100%) and also fulfill EBF standard. The 38 women who works had breastfed their infant (100%). Only 17 working mothers practiced EBF (44.7%) and the rest 21 working mothers didn’t practice EBF (55.3%). Maternal occupation does influence in fulfilling infant’s standard of EBF, more than half of the working women (55%) couldn’t fulfill the duration of giving EBF. However, non-working mothers were successful for complying the duration of EBF. Conclusion: This number could be improved by providing knowledge and raising awareness for the child’s well-being.